Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Clever Bit of Design

Coming home last Friday night, I noticed that a car parked a couple of spots away from me in the parking garage had its interior lights on. The car was locked, and I didn't know whose car it was, so there wasn't much I could do about it. Coincidentally though, the next morning the owner of that car was trying to start it when I headed to my car. I offered to jump start his car and helped him push the car back from the wall, out of its spot. Then I K-turned my car so our front ends would be close enough for the jumper cables to reach. He popped his hood, and at that moment remembered that his car -- one of the smaller BMW sedans (maybe a 3-Series?) -- had its battery in the trunk. That struck me as a clever design idea, since it obviates the need to push a car out of its spot to jump it when it's parked against a wall or other barrier.

No comments: