Friday, June 27, 2008

The Last Man on Earth To Start a Blog

That would be me. Not exactly an early adopter, to be sure. For some time I have been posting under the nome de Internet "DaveinHackensack" on a few different investing websites, mainly to organize my own thoughts and solicit feedback -- positive or negative -- on ideas. For most of this time, I resisted starting my own blog because it seemed pointless: the web has a surfeit of blogs already, so who needs to see mine? What caused me to change my mind was the gradual realization that I could profit more from correspondence with a handful of intelligent, intellectually flexible individuals than larger forums full of soi disant contrarians. My hope is that this blog will attract such a handful of correspondents.

As for the title of this blog, Hackensack is where I live. It's also the name of the river that runs alongside the city. Inspired by the example of The Atlantic, I figured I'd name my blog after this local, smaller body of water.

I plan to write about investing, politics (occasionally -- I am a recovering political junkie), and various other subjects that I find of interest, and -- more importantly -- think others might find of interest. Comments and criticisms will be welcomed and encouraged.

4 comments:

Rudy G. said...

What's your background,work-wise?

From reading your comments elsewhere I guessed you might have worked for Alliance Bernstein.

DaveinHackensack said...

I worked for them for a few years back in the 1990s, when they were still Alliance Capital. I was an "internal wholesaler" -- essentially, the junior partner to an outside sales rep (the "external wholesaler"/regional VP) who promoted Alliance's mutual funds and other products to financial professionals in a West Coast territory. I left to become the director of business development for an Internet-based financial services start-up (that's still around, but hasn't gone public), and then after that worked for a couple of years as an external wholesaler/regional VP for a niche investment company that is smaller and less well-known than Alliance.

I did a little bit of stock investing on my own when I was at Alliance, but the compliance issues involved when you work at a financial company (e.g., having to get compliance approval before every buy and sell) can be a pain. I didn't get a chance to really drill down into stock investing on my own until the last couple of years, when I haven't been on the payroll of any such firm.

Anonymous said...

found you because i'm a bit of a Sonkin/Deysher junkie and you are right in that vein.

thanks for blogging. i'll be reading and will try and correspond as able.

DaveinHackensack said...

Thanks, Drex. Looking forward to hearing your comments.