Saturday, January 16, 2010

Destiny Media update

I mentioned last month that I had sold out of Destiny Media Technologies (OTC BB: DSNY.OB). At the time, I noted,

I still like the company's story, and I expect it will post relatively impressive numbers in its upcoming fiscal Q1 (seasonally, its strongest quarter), but I got the sense from the reaction of some Destiny longs to the guidance the company issued back in October that some of them had overly optimistic ideas about the company's growth potential next year. Some seemed to assume that the sequential growth the company had predicted from Q4 to Q1 would continue at the same clip going forward. They also seemed to ignore that Destiny's fiscal Q2 is its weakest seasonally.

I'd like to see what that Q2 looks like. Depending on those results, I may buy back into this if the price looks attractive relative to my sense of the company's forward earnings prospects.


All still true today, though I should add (and probably should have added then) that, in the course of several conversations with him, Destiny Media's CFO Fred Vandenberg struck me a straight shooter and a good guy. Destiny issued this release after midnight on Thursday, Destiny Media Q1 Record Revenues Jump 89%: Third Consecutive Profitable Quarter Shows Over 39% Increase in Operating Income.

The stock had a small bump on Thursday, then dropped 15% yesterday, to 44 cents per share, a penny below the price at which I sold it last month. Perhaps other shareholders are having the same valuation concerns I had last month. With six-tenths of a penny in earnings per share in its seasonally-strongest quarter, I remain skeptical of Aaron Edelheit's estimate of 5 cents in fiscal 2010 earnings. Still interested in seeing what its Q2 looks like.

3 comments:

DaveinHackensack said...

It occurs to me that my thoughts on DSNY may be less due to intuitive feel than to me having the best combination of knowledge and objectivity about this company. Edelheit, for example, probably knows more about it than me, but he's too heavily invested in it (financially and otherwise) to have my level of objectivity.

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,

Any update on the Destiny? Watermark patents approved, large insider buying....

DaveinHackensack said...

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the delayed response. I might be a buyer of DSNY in the 20s.